Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spaghetti Squash is Amazing!

A few years ago, my husband surprised me by asking me to cook spaghetti squash. Having never heard of such a thing, I looked at him in confusion & he had to explain. For those unfamiliar, it's a largish, oblong yellow squash that, when cooked, one can use a fork to scrape out the innards which are stringy like noodles. Since then, I've been sort of  hooked on this tasty vegetable.

There's a few different ways to prepare it, I think it may even be printed on the stickers they put on the squash. The way I always do it: cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds & strings. Place cut side down in a pie plate that has about 1/4 cup of water & cover w/ plastic wrap. Microwave for about 6 minutes.

You can have it as a side dish, but we always use it instead of pasta in main dishes. A couple weeks ago, we even used it in an Asian style beef dish to substitute for noodles! Tonight's adventure was spicy sausage and mushrooms in a homemade tomato sauce. Added parmesan cheese in at the end & topped with mozarella in the bowl. Fantastic!

Spaghetti squash is versatile, healthy, and has a great texture. I plan on enjoying it more before the season's up!

No comments:

Post a Comment